Monthly Archives: March 2013

Quiz Night


Friends and family joined WI Members for a fantastic Quiz Night. A chance to socialise and show off our knowledge. Agnes kept a firm control with the help of members of her family, scoring, collecting answer papers and asking the questions; Jennifer and family ran the bar efficiently; Joanna muddled through with the seating arrangements; fish and chips were delivered half way through to keep us going, and at the end the clearing up was done with an expertise that only the WI can provide!

Thanks to everyone who came and helped, it was a great success.


Hot Topics March 2013

68 existing members came to the meeting on 18th March and were joined by two new ladies who we welcomed to our W.I.

Despite all our programme planning, Jill Elliot our W.I. advisor was unable to come as was our self defence tutor, so we were delighted that  Keith Hern a photographer, was able to attend at short notice. He gave a most interesting account, supported by some wonderful slides about an eight day promotional trip that he had been on in Zimbabwe.


surrey-federationAnn reported on her representation of our WI at the Surrey Federation 95th Annual Council meeting earlier that day.  She had been delighted on arrival to be greeted by the Wimbledon WI contribution to the new wall hanging which had been commissioned for Surrey’s 95th Anniversary.  The retiring Chairman, Elizabeth Fisher urged all WI members to attend the Scarecrow Trail being organised at Wisley on 18 July.  This is the Federation’s major fundraiser for the year – 20% of the proceeds to Wisley and the remaining 80% to the Federation.  There were 3 guest speakers during the day.  The first Janice Langley who is a NFWI Trustee and told her about her experiences as Chair of the NFWI Membership sub-committee.  The second was Simon Topman MBE who gave an amusing presentation about The History of Whistles and his company Acme Whistles which has its beginnings in Birmingham in 1870.  The final guest speaker was Jennie Storr who runs a branch of the Speaker’s Agency and whose talk was called “And Another Thing”.  This was another hilarious talk and started with her describing some surveys which had concluded that we were in danger of turning into Victoria and Victor Meldrews.

Last Night at the London Palladium

The most recent theatre trip, organised by Frieda Willis, was Chorus Line.  Ten WI ladies watched as this West End and Broadway revival hit town again.  I was slightly concerned as I was bringing my sister in law from Boston, as a 60th birthday present and had seen mixed reviews.  We came up to town early, and strolled round Liberty’s, for half an hour before having an early supper at Le Pain de Quotidien, which I am sure you will all know, but I didn’t means – your daily bread – with a glass of wine.  We sat near Warwick Davies and his family and they too were sitting near us at the Pallidium.

I thought the show was amazing, and certainly did not deserve the reviews of being dated and old fashioned.  There was no interval and the performance shoe shuffled through, as you watched a line of hopeful auditionees sing, dance and tell their own story in the hopes of getting a role in a Broadway production.  No scenery, just a white line drawn on the stage floor – no glitzy costumes until the final number when all the cast did a very traditional, high kicking routine that you had watched being rehearsed as the production went on.

Finally on the tube, we sat/stood beside a cast member, in full make-up with jeans and parka pulled on,  making her way home, after hoofing through two performances that day.  Wow.


Hot Topics February 2013

86 members and 3 guests came on Monday night to hear Nutritionist Angela Steel,give us tips on healthy eating, and how this can give us more energy. She has put together a package for WI members, and if you would like more information you can contact her on

BRING and BUY SALE We made £273 which we will send to our Charity Carers Support. Thank you to everyone who brought and bought so many goods. The Carers Support will be given the rest of the goods left over for their own bring and buy sale.