Agnes, the President, welcomed the 74 members and 9 guests to our meeting when the main event was a talk and discussion with Siobhain McDonagh MP for Mitcham and Morden about women in Parliament. We had a lively and interesting question and answer session with points discussed including the role of an MP in the constituency and in Parliament, despite being active in local politics why women were less inclined to serve as MPs, engaging the interest of more young people in voting and becoming involved in politics. This was followed by our annual Super Raffle in aid of our Chosen Charity of the Year, Merton and Morden Guild. We were pleased that Anne Donaghy from the Guild was able to be present for the raffle, which raised over £315. We are very grateful for the very generous donations of prizes both from members and local businesses.
Quiz Night 22 March 7pm we had a great evening. Thank you to everyone who helped make this a success. We raised £320 for Merton & Morden Guild with the balance going to our own WI funds.
Plant Sale –it is our plant sale at our May meeting. Please remember to sow seeds and take cuttings and bring them to that meeting.
Wool voucher April WI Life page 59 – anyone not intending to use this voucher please bring it to our meeting so that it can be exchanged for a free ball of wool from Hobbycraft to use to knit blanket squares.
Easter egg cosies – these lovely cosies made by our craft ladies were available to purchase with the proceeds of £70 going to support Merton & Morden Guild.
The Social & Theatre Committee have two trips lined up:
Globe Theatre Sunday 15th June
Royal Albert Hall Tuesday 22nd July,
as well as visits to the theatre:
One Man Two Guvnors
Twelve Angry Men
Food Bank – thank you for your continuing contributions. There will be a concert to raise funds for the Food Bank on 9th May 2014 at St Luke’s Church, Ryfold Road, Wimbledon Park Tickets were available for sale at the meeting.
Sign up Sheets – The following were available:
Wimbledon Village Fair Saturday 21st June – our stall is our main fund raising event to help run our WI. More help needed on the stall and/or produce – thank you to those members who have already signed up. Veronica, who is kindly acting as the Coordinator for our stall, gave a presentation covering amongst other things the types of suitable produce for the stall. A separate note about this is being sent to members.
Surrey News – this meeting was the last chance to order and pay.
Chocolate making and Pottery Taster Courses – Do you fancy trying your hand at chocolate making or pottery? We are considering providing subsidized taster courses probably on a Saturday at a local venue. Expressions of interest required at this meeting. Further details and date(s) will depend on numbers interested in attending.
On the NOTICE BOARD this month – lots of new information, including:
- As promised at our March meeting, Ann’s full report with photographs on the Surrey Federation’s Annual Council Meeting.
- National Federation of WIs Annual Meeting June 2014 Agenda
- National Federation of WIs Annual Review 2012-13
- 2014 Organ Donation Resolution Briefing. – at the June National Annual Meeting voting will take place on this Resolution. We will be voting at our May meeting so we can tell the delegate from New Malden WI who is representing us whether or not our WI supports it.
- 2 Open Days at NFWI HQ on Wednesday 15th and Thursday 16th October – a chance for you to see our HQ. Anyone wanting a booking form please contact Ann, the Secretary (Tel No on your 2014 Programme card). Closing date for applications end July.
- Honey Bees – Following the success of SOS for Honey Bees campaign, National are asking WI members to call for a Bee Action Plan to ensure a sustainable future for bees Information includes
- SOS for Honey Bees Campaign Action Pack
- Back our Bees Poster and Postcard
Next Meeting – Monday 19th May We will be having a flower arranging demonstration (with arrangements available to purchase), plant sale, voting on the Organ Donation resolution and NFWI Raffle tickets available for sale.